Eating Healthy During Sehri: Tips & Advices
Sehri is one of those two very important meals during Ramadan which is consumed before dawn. Its actual purpose is to keep us energetic during the day, and that is why eating healthy is necessary. Here are some tips and pieces of advice to eating healthy during Sehri:
- Sehri should be a meal which can provide energy till Iftar, so eating high-fibre foods and complex carbohydrates, such as grains and pulses, is highly recommended. These foods take a long time to break down, so our body will absorb them slowly and fuel us during the fasting hours.
- Dairy products should be consumed since they contain a good amount of calcium and vitamin D. Calcium is necessary for muscle contraction, transmitting messages through the nerves, and the release of hormones. On the other hand, our body needs vitamin D for absorbing calcium and promoting bone growth.
- Consumption of fruits and vegetables can prevent constipation. On the other hand, they help overcome thirst throughout the day. Grape is suggested to those who feel weak while fasting since it has tonic properties.
- Heavy meals should be avoided at Sehri since they impose the burden on the stomach and lead to indigestion.
- Sleeping early and waking up before dawn is necessary in order to aid digestion. Going to bed right after the tarawih prayer and waking up at 3 am is suggested. Sleeping after Sehri should be avoided in order to prevent reflux of stomach content into the food pipe.
- It is recommended to drink water gradually and slowly while eating Sehri. If plenty of water is consumed too fast, it will dilute stomach’s acid content and cause bloating as well as indigestion.
- Coffee and Tea should be avoided. Both of them contain caffeine that causes urination and water loss in the body, and eventually, makes us thirsty.
- While the consumption of complex carbohydrates, like bread and rice, is highly recommended, other carbohydrates, we should avoid other carbohydrates, such as candies and chocolates, since they release energy rapidly.
Some of us may not feel hungry at all at dawn and want to skip Sehri. So, experts suggest setting the table for Sehri. It is believed to be effective in improving the appetite. Sehri is an important meal that helps us sustain our energy levels throughout the day, and therefore, it should not be skipped.